County and state offices will be closed on Friday, Aug. 21, in observance of Statehood Day, which is a state holiday.
Normal business hours will resume on Monday, Aug. 24.
The following are notes of what will be open and closed in various counties:
- Emergency ambulance, fire, lifeguard, and police services will be available.
- TheBus will operate on a state holiday schedule. Click here for route and schedule information.
- Refuse will be collected, and transfer stations, convenience centers, H-POWER, and the Waimanalo Gulch Sanitary Landfill will be open.
- Parks, municipal golf courses, botanical gardens, and the Honolulu Zoo will be open.
- The Neal S. Blaisdell Center box office will be open for the Made in Hawaii Festival.
- The People’s Open Markets will not be held
- All Satellite City Halls and Driver’s License offices will be closed.
The following traffic and parking regulations will be in effect:
- On-street parking will be free, except for the meters on Kalākaua Avenue along Queen Kapi‘olani Park and metered parking lots.
- Traffic lanes will not be coned for contraflow.
- Lanikai parking restrictions and enforcement: From Aug. 21 at 1 a.m.-Aug. 23 at 7 p.m., no parking of motor vehicles will be permitted on the unimproved sidewalk on the right side of the road along Lanikai loop, in order to ensure access for emergency vehicles, residents, and visitors. The Lanikai loop includes Aalapapa and Mokulua drives, where a bike lane runs along the right side of both streets. Parking is always prohibited in the bike lane, with a potential fine of $200. Motorists should also not drive on the bike lane, stop and/or unload people or equipment on the bike lane. Bike lanes are reserved for bicyclists. Barriers will be placed adjacent to the bike lane along Lanikai loop to notify motorists.
- All refuse transfer stations, the Kekaha Landfill, and Kauai Resource Center.
- Kapaa and Waimea swimming pools and all neighborhood centers will be closed for the holiday.
- Puhi Metals Recycling Center will remain open, as well as the HI-5 bottle redemption centers that are normally open on Fridays with the exception of Kauai Resource Center.
- Residential refuse pick-up will continue as scheduled.
- Although the Kauai Bus will be operating on Statehood Day, it will be running on a modified schedule. For more information, click here or call 246-8110.