Hawaiian Electric is warning customers about increased scam activity targeting utility customers.
Customers have reported receiving telephone calls saying that their electric bill is delinquent and that they’re subject to immediate disconnection. Customers in this current scam were directed to pay their utility bills by making a cash express payment via a bill pay machine at a retail establishment.
If customers receive a suspicious call from someone claiming to represent the company, Hawaiian Electric encourages customers to call the Hawaiian Electric Customer Service Center at: 808-548-7311.
In addition, Hawaiian Electric would like to share the following tips to help customers avoid becoming a victim of these scams:
- Never provide personal, confidential, or financial information – including billing information – to unidentified individuals.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Get the caller’s name, phone number, and company name, and offer to call back after you have verified the information.
- If you have any doubt whether a call, email, or visit from someone claiming to represent Hawaiian Electric is legitimate, please call our Customer Service Center at 548-7311.
- If you have made a payment, do not call an 800 number to provide a confirmation number or to report it. Always call Customer Service at 548-7311.
- Report any suspicious activity to police.
Hawaiian Electric employees would not direct you to make a payment at any location other than through our approved payment locations and methods.