We’re cooking up some good ‘ole comfort food in today’s ‘Healthy and Delicious’ with Down to Earth.
Mama T shows us how to make hearty Pumpkin Stew. Perfect for fall!
Hearty Roasted Red Pepper Pumpkin Stew
- 3 cups kabocha pumpkin, or other sweet squash, skinned and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium white potato, chopped
- ½ cup- 1 cup shallots (or onions, or mixture), sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 medium red peppers, diced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- pinch salt, pepper, and nutmeg
- 1 tablespoons agave nectar (or honey)
- handful of fresh sage leaves (about 1/4 cup chopped), or 1 tsp dry rubbed sage
- 3 cups veggie broth or water
- 1/4 cup + almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- Skin and chop the pumpkin and the potato.
- Add to a big pot with enough water to cover and boil for about 15-20 minutes, until fork-soft. Drain in colander when finished and place back in pot.
- Use potato masher to make pumpkin and potatoes together.
- While the pumpkin/potatoes are cooking, slice the shallots/onions, garlic, and red peppers and place in a big bowl.
- Add the olive oil, salt, peppers, and agave and toss until veggies are well coated.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and toss gently.
- Add the fresh sage and bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until the red peppers begin to blacken.
- Add 2 cups broth to pumpkin and potatoes. When the pepper and onions are finished, add to the pot.
- Add the almond milk and simmer for 10 minutes. Add more salt and pepper to taste; add more almond milk or broth to thin soup if you like.
Hearty Pumpkin Stew recipe- https://downtoearth.box.com/s/5pxxopw0zkditwhyurgiyivagsielbqy