Unattended candle may have caused Hilo fire

The Hawaii County Fire Dept. dealt with a house fire in Hilo Thursday night that may have been started by a candle.

Firefighters arrived at the Ainako Avenue house at 9:12 p.m. to find flames coming out of the back bedroom windows of a single story, three bedroom-two bath, dwelling. The fire was out by 9:30 p.m.

All occupants of the residence, a 32-year-old woman and two children, were able to escape the blaze.

The owner of the house told a fire official that the cause of the fire may have been an unattended citronella candle being burned to prevent mosquitoes.

The fire is under investigation.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s