Honolulu Fire Department Fire Investigators have concluded the house fire investigation in Kaimuki and determined that the cause of the fire was accidental.
The two-alarm fire was reported just after 5:30 a.m. Monday on of the Keanu Street. HFD investigators determined that a lit cigarette was the ignition source of the fire which originated in an upper bedroom of the two-story duplex. Firefighters took about 9 minutes to bring the fire under control.
Authorities say 10 people were home at the time of the fire and were all able to escape without injuries.
The total damage is estimated at $35,000.
Honolulu firefighters put out a two-alarm house fire in Kaimuki.
The incident was reported just before 5:30 a.m. Monday on Keanu Street near 10th Avenue.
HFD Battalion Chief Geoffrey Chang says when crews arrived on the scene, a two-story duplex was engulfed in smoke and flames coming from an upper bedroom window. The fire was brought under within 10 minutes and fully extinguished by just after 6 a.m.
Authorities say ten people were home at the time of the fire and were able to evacuate with out injury.
The cause of the fire was reported to have been a lit cigarette which was left unattended when a resident fell asleep. The fire was contained to the room of origin.
The damage estimate is not available at this time.
The American Red Cross has been notified to assist the affected families.