The Honolulu Community Action Program is offering free tax preparation services now to Friday, April 8.
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) income tax services program helps working families and individuals get the federal tax credits they have earned. In 2015, over $1.4 million was brought back into our community through this program. In addition to the money brought into the community through the returns, taxpayers saved an average of $200 per return by not paying filing fees.
Returns are prepared for working Hawaii families that have an adjusted gross income (AGI) of less than $50,000 and are required to file a relatively simple federal return. Volunteer preparers will e-file both the federal and Hawaii State return for free.
Contact the District Service Center nearest you (listed below) to make an appointment or call the HCAP main office for more information at 521-4531.
Appointments are available first come, first served during the following days and times:
- Central District Service Center (488-6834) – 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Kalihi-Palama District Service Center (847-0804 – 10 a.m.-noon and 1-3 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Leahi District Service Center (732-7755) – 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Leeward District Service Center (696-4261) – 9 a.m.-noon and 1-3 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
- Windward District Service Center (239-5754) – 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays and Thursdays
- HCAP Main Office (521-4531) – 9 a.m.-noon Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
HCAP has also incorporated an online component that offers free online tax preparation and filing of federal and state returns to taxpayers with less than $62,000 AGI. MyFreeTaxes.com offers an easy, fast, and secure method to prepare and file taxes electronically, utilizing the H&R Block At Home software.
Last year, 768 tax payers electronically filed their federal returns at the HCAP sites, with returns totaling $1,405,362. ‘The refunds that are brought into the local economy benefits not only the families, but the entire community,” said executive director Robert N.E. Piper. “We encourage all those who may qualify to seek HCAP’s EITC services.”