Honolulu, you’re one of the top romantic — and cost-efficient — cities in the country.
With Valentine’s Day on Sunday and Americans planning to spend an average of $146.84 to a record total of $19.7 billion collectively on the occasion, the personal finance website WalletHub conducted an in-depth analysis of 2016’s Best and Worst Cities for Valentine’s Day.
Honolulu is ranked third, behind number-one San Francisco and Scottsdale, Arizona. Las Vegas comes in at number 6.
To find out which cities go easy on couples’ wallets, WalletHub’s number crunchers compared the 100 most populated cities across 15 key metrics, ranging from restaurant-meal costs to number of attractions to number of florists per capita.
With 1 considered the best and 50 the average, Honolulu rates:
- 5th – Average Price per Valentine’s Day Party Ticket*
- 51st – Restaurant-Meal Costs (Three-Course Meal for Two)*
- 9th – Number of Restaurants per Capita
- 11th – Number of Attractions
- 20th – Average Price per Movie Ticket*
- 1st – Number of Jewelry Stores per Capita
- 3rd – Number of Florists per Capita
- 31st – Average Wine Price*
- 6th – Number of Specialty Stores per Capita
- 12th – Weather Forecast for Valentine’s Day
*Cost data adjusted by the median household income of the city.
Data used to create these rankings were collected from the U.S. Census Bureau, the Council for Community and Economic Research, Numbeo, Yelp, TripAdvisor, Eventbrite and Accuweather.com.