Kentucky man hospitalized after e-cigarette battery explodes in pocket


OWENSBORO, KY (WFIE/CNN) – A Kentucky man is recovering from severe burns after he says an e-cigarette exploded in his pocket.

It happened over the weekend at the New Hartford Road Shell Gas Station in Owensboro where employees say the constant stream of traffic never brings anything out of the ordinary.

Surveillance video shows customer Josh Hamilton standing in line, waiting to buy snacks.

As Hamilton walks over to cashier Jassie Singh to pay, he says an e-cigarette battery in his pocket explodes.

“He was giving me money. He put his hand in his pocket and suddenly there was a blast in his pocket. There was fire, a big fire, and he was burning,” Singh recalled.

“I was shocked! I was like what was that? You have a bomb in your pocket? I was like that! You carry your bomb in your pocket? I was totally shocked and just like this, my hands were on my head,” employee Manoj Kumar added.

Hamilton runs outside the door, past Kumar, where he struggles to take off his burning pants.

Singh is seen in the video coming out from behind the counter where he sprays Hamilton with a fire extinguisher to put the fire out.

Hamilton is then seen going into the restroom to check out the burns just before another customer drove him to the hospital to treat second degree burns on his leg.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s