Two-alarm fire damages Kalihi glass tinting business

Puuhale Road

A two-alarm fire that damaged a Kalihi business started near a power strip.

It sparked just before 5 p.m. from a building at 275 Puuhale Road. Nine fire companies staffed with 34 personnel responded.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke and flames shooting out of a second-story unit.

“It was like seconds, smoke was coming in. Flames were getting bigger, so I just ran down the stairs and I yelled for everybody to get out of the office,” said Rick Ambler of Amco Glass Tinting Co. “When I came out, there was a neighbor with a hose, and I got out my hose. The two of us worked on the outside.”

Fire investigators determined that a cord leading to the power strip was kinked, and that caused its insulation to overheat and eventually spark.

The fire was brought under control at 5:20 p.m. and fully extinguished by 5:34 p.m.

Everyone inside escaped safely, but there’s now a gaping hole in a window of Amco’s office.

Damage was estimated at $70,000.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s