Kauai’s Kapahi bridge closes to traffic for replacement project

Kapahi bridge (Photo: Kauai County)

On Monday, May 16, Kapahi bridge on Kauai was closed to traffic for a $2.2 million replacement project.

Crews will be removing the existing one-lane bridge at Kawaihau and Kahuna roads and constructing a new bridge of similar size and aesthetic qualities.

The new bridge is expected to be completed by May of next year.

There are two points where Kawaihau and Kahuna roads connect. While the bridge is closed, the other junction remains open, as are both roads.

The Federal Highway Administration is providing 80 percent of the funding for this project; the remaining 20 percent is funded through the County of Kauai’s highway and bond funds.

Drayko Construction is the general contractor.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s