The city Department of Emergency Management says a siren malfunction in Windward Oahu was likely triggered by gecko droppings.
The siren, located at the City and County of Honolulu’s sewage treatment plant in Ahuimanu, sounded at approximately 5:45 a.m. Wednesday.
There was no emergency.
While gecko droppings may seem like an unusual cause for a malfunction, emergency officials say it’s not the first time something like this has happened.
The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency (HI-EMA) will contact the siren’s vendor, Federal Signal Corporation, to discuss how this can be prevented.
One possible solution would be a circuit board treatment called Conformal Coating — a thin film that’s applied to circuit boards to protect the electrical contacts. HI-EMA will look into the application process and cost factor.
Kuliouou residents also reported hearing an outdoor warning siren, however officials said the Ahuimanu siren was the only one to malfunction.
If you hear an outdoor warning siren sound and there is no emergency information being broadcast over television, radio or official social media, you can assume it is a malfunction.
Residents can call (808) 723-8960 during normal working hours (Mondays-Fridays, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) to report it or call 911 after-hours, or on holidays or weekends.