H-1 stabbing suspect charged, bail set at $2 million

A suspect accused of stabbing three men on the H-1 Freeway in a reported act of road rage has been charged.

Mark Char, 58, was charged Wednesday night with second-degree attempted murder, and second- and third-degree assault.

During his initial court appearance Thursday morning, a judge denied the public defender’s request to reduce Char’s bail, which was confirmed at $2 million.

He is expected back in court next Monday, Aug. 8, for his preliminary hearing.

Meanwhile, newly released court documents reveal more about what allegedly happened on Monday, Aug. 1.

One of the victims gave a verbal statement to police while at the hospital.

The incident initially occurred at around 3 p.m. near the Kunia off-ramp.

According to the victim, he was the passenger, riding with a friend on the H-1 when they noticed a red Camaro tailgating their vehicle. The Camaro then pulled alongside and the man saw the Camaro’s driver, later identified as Char, gesture with his right hand as if he were holding a pistol and shooting at them.

The victim said his friend slowed to let Char pass, but Char kept the same pace and, when they eventually pulled over, Char backed into their vehicle with his Camaro, got out, and pepper-sprayed both men.

As the victim was being pepper-sprayed, he said his friend rushed Char and that’s when Char stabbed him several times in the chest and stomach. The victim said when he tried to intervene, Char used the same knife and slashed him on both arms.

According to court documents, a passerby saw the commotion. That man told police he saw Char biting the driver’s finger, drawing blood, and when he tried to break them apart, he was cut on his hand. He said Char then got back into his Camaro and fled the scene.

The driver, a 22-year-old man, was hospitalized in critical condition. According to court documents, he required immediate surgery for life-threatening injuries. He was still in the hospital Thursday.

The 23-year-old passenger who gave the statement to police was hospitalized in serious condition, while the third victim, who tried to intervene, drove himself to the hospital. Both have been released.

According to court documents, checks on the Camaro’s license plate, along with photos and video taken during the fight, led police to identify Char as a suspect.

At around 4 p.m., documents say Char’s wife called 911 and said Char had been assaulted but refused an ambulance. After the call was made, an officer approached the home, but no one answered. Checks showed multiple firearms were registered to Char’s wife. As a precaution, officers backed away and surrounded the home, documents said.

Char surrendered just before 7:30 p.m. and was placed under arrest.

He has been arrested several times for similar incidents.

On Aug. 8, Char is scheduled to go to trial for a road-rage incident that resulted in charges of second-degree assault and criminal property damage. Prosecutors say when a car passed Char on the freeway, he overtook it and cut off the driver, then brake-checked him, which led to a confrontation.

In 2013, police and SWAT teams arrested Char during a standoff at his house. He was charged with terroristic threatening and is scheduled to go to trial for that on Aug. 29.

We’ve also learned that in 2002, he was charged with negligent injury for allegedly hitting a man on a motorcycle while driving. After several dismissals and appeals, the case is scheduled to go to trial in November.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s