Waiehu house fire causes $400,000 in damages

maui fire over background

At 10:17 p.m. on Sunday, October 9, Maui fire crews responded to a one-story residential structure fire on Alakai St. in Waiehu that caused $300,000 in damages to the structure and $100,000 to contents.

Wailuku firefighters arrived on scene at 10:27 p.m. to find flames coming from windows on the left side of the home. Crews had the fire knocked down at around 10:47 p.m. and extinguished at 1:24 a.m.

The residents were at home and detected a smoke odor somewhere within the house. When they opened a bedroom door, they found the bed on fire and evacuated the home. Everyone got out safely and no injuries were reported.

The occupant reported that 30 minutes prior, they began charging a Lithium-ion battery in a USB charging device that was plugged into an electrical outlet. The charging device and battery was left on the bed.

Fire investigators know that the fire started in the bedroom but were unable to determine the exact cause.

Three adults and 3 children who live in the home have been displaced. The Red Cross is assisting the families.

The fire department would like to educate the public that if a fire is discovered in a room of the home, they should quickly shut the door to the room before exiting the structure. By closing the door, you effectively contain the fire to the room of origin and restrict the spread of heat, smoke and flames from the rest of the home.

In this incident, the door to the bedroom was left open, which allowed the fire to spread down the hall and to other areas of the home.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s