Investigators say stove sparked fire that destroyed Makiki home

A Makiki man is lucky to be alive after a fire destroyed his home Friday morning.

Firefighters responded to the two-alarm fire on Green Street at 8:32 a.m.

By then, the two-story dwelling was already engulfed in flames.

Garrett Shannon told KHON2 he woke up to an activated smoke alarm and saw smoke coming under his door. He called 911, grabbed his dog, Boo, and ran.

“The house was really smoky, only had like about a foot of visibility, and I could see him (my dog) clamoring at my feet, and I just told him, let’s get out,” Shannon said.

Local radio personality Lanai Tabura lives next door. He was awakened by neighbors pounding on his door.

“I was hearing all these noises and pounding on the door, and I just smelled it, and then I ran out and my neighbor points it out to me and I look up, and holy, I’ve never seen a fire that big,” Tabura said. “We’re in a private lane, so it makes it even more difficult (for firefighters). Even when they got here, they were trying to figure out where to go and which is the best angle. I said ‘just come in my driveway. It’s right here.'”

The fire was brought under control by 8:53 a.m. and fully extinguished by 9:50 a.m.

Investigators determined that the fire was accidentally started when the kitchen stove was inadvertently turned on, igniting nearby combustibles.

Damage is estimated at $300,000 to the structure and $200,000 to its contents.

A total of three people occupied the home and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The Honolulu Fire Department offers the following tips:

  • Have and practice a family fire escape plan.
  • Smoke alarms are a very important part of fire safety in the home. They alert occupants of smoke and fire 24 hours a day. Install Smoke alarms inside and outside each bedroom and sleeping area. Install alarms on every level of the home.
  • If the alarm sounds, get out and stay out. Never go back in for people or pets.
  • If you have to escape through smoke, get low and go under the smoke to your way out.
Photo courtesy Mapu Puaa
Photo courtesy Mapu Puaa

makiki-fire-aftermath-close

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s