The Amazing Hawaii Comic Convention returns to Honolulu in August, bringing an all-star team of popular culture icons to the 2017 show.
Headlined by William Shatner and the cast of “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” the convention will also feature creators and stars from the world of Disney, Star Wars, Spider-Man and Power Rangers.
The third-annual convention will take place at Hawaii Convention Center Aug. 25-27.
The weekend also offers special “Force Friday” doorbuster specials for Star Wars fans, a Saturday costume contest that is always a visual spectacle, and a kids’ costume parade on Sunday (Kids’ Day).
Throughout the weekend, more than 150 exhibitors will pack the show floor, and more than 200 talented artists will sign autographs and do sketches in the artist alley. Fans will also have weekend-long access to many of their favorite comic book creators and pop culture celebrities doing Q&A sessions.
“We are thrilled to bring Amazing Hawaii Comic Con back to Honolulu, and to share what we truly believe is the ‘Major Leagues’ of pop culture with the Hawaiian community,” said Jimmy Jay, co-owner of Jay Company Comics and Amazing Hawaii Comic Con.
Featured guests include:
William Shatner: Shatner is a cultural icon for his seven decades on television and his portrayal of the beloved Captain Kirk in the Star Trek franchise. The Canadian actor, author, producer and director joins the cast from Star Trek: The Next Generation (Michael Dorn, Marina Sirtis, LeVar Burton, Brent Spiner) at this year’s show.
Todd McFarlane: A Canadian cartoonist and entrepreneur, McFarlane is best known for creating the fantasy series Spawn, and is the best-selling Spider-man artist of all time. He now focuses on running McFarlane Toys and Todd McFarlane Entertainment, a film and animation studio.
Kevin Eastman: For more than three decades, kids (and adults) have watched the TMNT movies, enjoyed the cartoons and played with the toys, and will have a brand new Turtles movie to watch in June 2016. Eastman created TMNT and started the whole enterprise as an independent comic book.
Chris Claremont: Claremont’s work was the basis for each of the X-Men movies from FOX, including this summer’s highly-anticipated blockbuster X-Men: Apocalypse. During Claremont’s historic 17-year run on X-Men, he sold more than 750 million comics worldwide, all while creating fan favorite characters such as Phoenix, Rogue, Gambit, Mystique, and dozens more.
Ray Park: Darth Maul in Star Wars: Episode I, Park further put his extensive martial arts background to use, starring as Toad in X-Men and Snake-Eyes in the G.I. Joe films.
Alan Tudyk: Another Star Wars star, Tudyk played the droid K2-SO in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and also stars in the television series Firefly. He has appeared as an actor in many movies including 3:10 to Yuma, Dodgeball, 42 and more, and as a voice actor in countless Disney movies, including Moana, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
Jason David Frank: Best known for his portrayal of Tommy Oliver, the Green Ranger, in multiple seasons of Power Rangers. Frank is an American actor and professional mixed martial artist.
Additional programming highlights include:
- Marvel Spotlight Panel – Saturday afternoon: Elite group of Comic creators converge on Honolulu, working on fan favorites from Spider-Man to Wolverine, the Hulk and more. Group autograph session following panel.
- Cosplay Costume Contest – Saturday, 7 p.m. – Honolulu’s cosplay community will be out in full-force, and these cosplay contests never disappoint! Prizes awarded to Best Newcomer and Best Expert, as well as a grand prize for Best in Show.
- Kids’ Day – Sunday, all day
- Free sketches by Disney artist Mat Nastos and artists from My Little Pony. For kids 10 and under only.
- Giant video game arena where fans can play favorites such as Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Halo, Street Fighter, and more.
- Costume parade with all participants receiving a special prize.
- Spotlights on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, and more.
- Friday- or Sunday-only passes – $25 / Saturday passes – $35 / Weekend passes – $60
- VIP tickets – $160-$200
- Kids 10 and under – FREE all weekend with a paid adult
Tickets are available at the Hawaii Convention Center box office and online. Ticket information, VIP upgrades, and regular event updates are available online here.