Texas man dies from infection after swimming with new tattoo

Photo: Parkland Health & Hospital System via CNN

Doctors say a man in Texas died because he went swimming too soon after getting a leg tattoo.

According to the medical journal, BMJ Case Reports, he was in the Gulf of Mexico five days after the procedure.

That’s where he was infected by the bacteria, Vibrio vulnificus, which led to his hospitalization.

The case report notes that the 31-year-old suffered from chronic liver disease. He developed septic shock and died about two months later.

One of the top rules after getting a new tattoo is to avoid swimming and bathing, because it’s easy to pick up infections.

Even if you don’t have chronic liver disease, doctors say it’s important to follow safety recommendations after getting new ink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s