Stove sparks early morning fire in Ala Moana food court restaurant

Firefighters were called to Ala Moana Center early Tuesday morning after a fire broke out in the food court.

Fire officials say a stove in Aja Sushi and Bento was inadvertently left on and ignited accumulated grease just before 3 a.m.

Mall security spotted the smoke and called the Honolulu Fire Department. No one was in the restaurant at the time, and no one was hurt.

Damage in the kitchen totaled $45,000, however officials say it could have been much worse.

The restaurant’s fix fire extinguishing system, located over the stove, kept the fire contained to the area and prevented what could have been $1.2 million in damage.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s