Malfunctioning heater sparks two-alarm fire at Crosspointe town house complex

The American Red Cross is assisting residents after a two-alarm building fire heavily damaged their Halawa home Wednesday morning.

The alarm came in at 7:12 a.m. at the Crosspointe town house complex on Mananai Place.

Firefighters arrived to find a two-story town house heavily involved with smoke and flames. No one was in the unit at the time.

Crews suppressed the flames and protected neighboring structures. The fire was extinguished by 7:47 a.m.

“There was a slight rekindle on the eaves that the companies were able to extinguish, so now we’re just checking the other side of the building,” said acting battalion chief Timothy Rapoza, Honolulu Fire Department.

Fire investigators determined the cause was accidental due to “a fault or malfunction of a gas water heater.”

The fire damage estimate totaled $463,000 for the building and its contents.

No one was hurt.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s