A portion of S. King Street was shut down for several hours after smoke was seen coming from a manhole.
It was first reported at around 9:30 p.m. Monday at the manhole in front of Honolulu Hale, near the Punchbowl Street intersection.
S. King Street was shut down in the area until 1:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Hawaiian Electric later confirmed there was no fire in the manhole.
HECO crews discovered that a wire from a city street light was smoldering, so they cut it clear and pulled it out.
City Department of Facility Maintenance Director Ross Sasamura released the following statement:
“A crew from the Department of Facility Maintenance (DFM) responded to the scene Monday night and worked with the responding crew from Hawaiian Electric Company to address the matter. The reported incident resulted from damage to an underground city streetlight cable caused by a contractor working nearby.
Today, a crew from the Department of Facility Maintenance installed temporary overhead wiring to restore operation to the affected streetlights while the contractor is being contacted to make the necessary repairs to the damaged underground wiring.”